Skip to main content

If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It


Today, I would like to proclaim for all to hear that it has been exactly one month since I started this blog.  Wahoo!! I have to admit that's longer than I had initially thought this blog would last.  I’ve never considered myself much of a writer and my previous experiences with diaries and such did not overwhelm me with confidence.  Yet here we are.  This makes eleven total blog posts and 629 page views as of this posting with more to come.  To celebrate this odd anniversary, I thought it would be appropriate to give out some information about myself.  A little getting to know the blogger, you see.  

Why did you decide to start a blog?
I had been playing around with the idea of starting a blog off and on for a while but I wasn’t too serious about it.  I enjoy both sharing my opinions and arguing with friends but as I’m typically in the minority I thought it’d be fun to yell into the ether, I guess.  Then I went on a road trip with some friends and got bored on the long car ride.  I started writing my first post in the car and posted it as soon as we arrived.  I wanted to finally have the opportunity to share my opinions with the world so I just jumped off.  I wasn’t sure anyone would care enough to listen but I really enjoy blogging.  I really do enjoy it even though I swear it's slowly taking over my life. 

Has running this blog changed anything for you?  
I honestly feel like starting this blog changed so many things for me.  Writing and blogging about my life and my beliefs has kind of inspired me to be more involved in my local atheist community.   It’s made me want to be more open with the people around me.  This has been a big change for introverted, little me.  Getting to know strange people is such work but maybe it would be worth the trouble in the end.    

What do you do when you aren't blogging?
Mostly I work.  A lot.  As I’ve mentioned before, I work full time at, ironically enough, a Christian daycare.  I usually float between the one and two-year-old rooms but I spend a little bit of time everywhere.  From biting to potty training, every day's an adventure.  It’s not the best job ever and the pay leaves something to be desired but there are other benefits to working in childcare.   Typically, I receive one weekday off every week and I usually go to doctors appointments or run errands then.  I spend my weekends shacking up with Vaguely Defined Significant Other, hanging out with the rest of our gang of friends, or trying futility to convince Schnitzel Dog that she is actually a dog.   

Have any hobbies?
Does blogging count?  I haven’t decided yet.  Otherwise, I enjoy reading when I have the time.  Fanfiction, Teen Fiction, and various kinds of romance are my usual favorites.  I recently finished the Heroes of Olympus and I’m currently reading The Trials of Apollo by Rick Riordan.  I also enjoy local comic and anime conventions.  You might even see me in cosplay from time to time.  I am an avid enthusiast of Netflix and top ten lists on Youtube.  I should probably finish Ouran Highschool Host Club and My Hero Academia eventually.    

Are you married?  Any babies of your own?
Pssh. Nope. Vaguely Defined Significant Other and I will probably get there eventually but we’re happy just the way we are for now.  Between working, finishing school, and trying to move in together, I think our plans for this year are pretty set.  As for babies, did I mention I work at a daycare?  I have between 12 and 16 children every day at work.  I get to see the whole range of child behavior on a daily basis.  If I made enough money to have an addiction, alcoholism would be extremely tempting.  After all that, I have no desire to have to bring one home with me.  Plus, I do legitimately have some medical problems that would make having a baby difficult for me.  Maybe in a few years, I’ll reconsider, but for now,  I just had my first IUD put in and let me just say that sucked royally.  It’s staying in there for a while.  Besides, I think Schnitzel Dog is all the responsibility I need in my life right now.

Thank you, dear readers, for an absolutely amazing first month on the blogosphere.  I really couldn’t have done it without you.  I look forward to marching into the future of this blog with you.

A Southern Atheist


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'll Fly Away, Oh Glory

Today, in the United States and in primarily Christian nations around the world, we celebrate a major Christian holiday: Easter Sunday.  According to the “good” book, on this prearranged day on the calendar, we celebrate the rise of Zombie Jesus three days after he was publicly crucified on a hill with other criminals by those damn, dirty Romans.  My information claims he did this so that the human race, hateful sinners that we are, could be saved from what his father, Capitol “G” god, would do to us if we weren’t.  That’s way more interesting than some silly fertility festival that we obviously borrow quite heavily from.  Although the Catholic church doesn’t openly support the practice, willing participants kick off Easter weekend on Good Friday by reenacting the gruesome details of the crucifixion in communities all over the world.    Here in the American Southeast, Good Friday is a bank holiday and plenty of businesses take the day off.  The good God Fearing folks have bee

Frequently Asked #1

Welcome to the first edition of Frequently Asked! This is going to be an ongoing feature on the blog.  Some of the questions and/or statements covered here are things that have genuinely been said to my face.  That is the case for our topics for today.  Others could come from other Atheist writers, the great and powerful Google, or maybe even eventually from readers like you.  I promise to do my best to convey my answers in a clear and articulate manner.  Now, what are some questions that I get asked entirely too often?  How can you live life without Faith?/You have to have Faith in something. I would like to make it clear right here and now that I have plenty of faith in a variety of things.  I have faith in the fact that if my morning is not going so well then it will only get better when I spill coffee all over my work outfit or get stuck behind the school bus when I’m already running late.  When I come down with something, a state I find myself in fairly often,

Hold My Beer....

Long ago in a galaxy far, far away, I somehow managed to graduate from a small, private college with a bachelor's in Biology.  Now, I don't necessarily use my degree much in my current profession but I still carry an interest in the subject.  It's an excellent thought that in spite of what any individual person might believe, science continues to be true.  Nowadays, I try to keep a passing glance on new theories and discoveries in the field.  Although science-based books aren’t always the most riveting ever written, I occasionally enjoy a good read.  While you’re here, I’m going to go ahead and recommend Carl Sagan’s The Demon-Haunted World and How to Build a Time Machine by Paul Davies. I even manage to continue a small level of activism through protests and outreach websites like Citizen Science (Give it a try sometime).  In this meager way, I can prolong my involvement and aid my fellow man. The real conflict I have is my incredible sadness at the insufficient l